Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

When I was a programmer, everything was trial-and-error. I would come up with a set of functions and techniques to get a desired result and then it was: [try it > troubleshoot > scrap it > start-over] in cycles until the code worked.

It's similar in marketing, but on a much bigger scale. Instead of a few lines of code, it's an entire campaign. [Identify an audience > pick a medium > create a message > implement] No results? There goes a nice chunk of change. Embrace failure and try it again. ...or if you're not comfortable embracing failure, apply a different success metric.

But it's not just a problem for us small fries. Pepsi is dumping the new packaging for it's Tropicana line of Orange Juice. That's a failed campaign that must be worth millions. But, that's the nature of the game -- you have to try new things to see what works. Marketing is a Wash, Rinse, Repeat type of process.

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. BTW - It was only a week ago that I was at the store looking for OJ and was myself troubled by an overwhelming subconcious desire to NOT buy my regular brand. I quickly realized it was because of the new packaging and my logical brain won the argument, but that's powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what happened to me, Matt. I scanned the juices looking for the familiar packaging - when I didn't see it, I wondered why the store wasn't carrying Tropicana any more. Then upon closer examination realized it was still there while part of me wondered if there was something wrong with this OJ masquerading as "Tropicana." Again - like you say - it wasn't logical but I seriously considered not purchasing.

    ReplyDelete